Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Helen Mirren as QE2 in "The Queen"


I haven't seen this movie yet, as we usually wait till movies come out on DVD. Not too long ago, we saw Helen Mirren play the part of QE1, and I thought she looked just a bit like QE2. Now we get to see her play the part. I think she will be very good in this film, everything I have seen and read about it looks promising.

Maynard at the Tammy Bruce blog recently saw the movie and posted about it. He offers some great comments without revealing too many details for those of us who haven't seen it yet. Here is a short excerpt of one of his comments:

[...] I come away from "The Queen" contemplating the tension between head and heart, and tilting towards the head in reaction to a touchy-feely era where it seems the heart has run wild. It's a question of balance. Without the head, we become merely animals; creatures of feelings and appetite and nothing more. This is the road to hedonism and eventually nihilism. But without the heart, the head is irrelevant, because then it matters not whether we live or die. [...]

(bold emphasis mine) That question of balance is something I agree with strongly. Like Maynard, I also think the touchy-feely element get's too much emphasis these days. We have both a reasoning, rational mind AND an emotional, impulsive heart; I believe we are meant to use both. When we rely too much on just one, we always end up in trouble.

He has other interesting comments about the film (like Tony Blair's wife being a potential Moonbat!), it's not a long post, you can give the whole thing a read here:

"The Queen"

Just last week we saw Helen Mirren in the last sequel of "Prime Suspect". Excellent as always, if you haven't seen the "Prime Suspect" series, treat yourself.
     

4 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Not sure how exactly it happened, but this movie somehow made it to one of the upcoming theaters in my little corner of the world for this upcoming weekend .. I'm definitely gonna see it

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Helen Mirren, but I am not about to go see this movie. I am sick and tired of seeing the American media so fascinated with some other country's royalty. And I say that as a proud anglophile who lived in the UK for 3 years and loved it.

Chas said...

Reel,
I'd be curious to know if you like it or not.

Gully,
I'm not a fan of royalty either, but I do like stories based on actual events and people. I think a large part of the story is supposed to be based on QE2's friendship with Tony Blair.

God only knows how true it is, but it could be interesting, and even if it's not so great, I'll bet Helen Mirren will do a great impersonation of QE2.

Anonymous said...

Tell you what: you see it, post a detailed review, and I'll consider it once it's on satellite.